09 September 2008

Last day of interviews

So today was my last day of interviews. I had one in the morning at a marketing company in the southwest suburbs of London. This is the first area I've seen in London that I thought could have been in Ireland. For some reason London's buildings and streets remind me more of Paris than Dublin.

Then I went to my first class which was The History of London. The teacher seems very good - very funny and he blurs right through decades and centuries summing it all up very nicely but quickly, which I like. Should be an interesting class. He says he does talk shows (I think he said for the BBC?) on history and military, but focuses on minorities in the military (women in the military, different ethnic groups, gays in the military etc.) which is interesting b/c I took a class on women in the military last semester. He's the quintessential British history teacher - suspenders and everything. Also, he uses the phrase "brown trouser moment" a lot. For example: when talking about all the invasions of London, "It was another brown trouser moment when they saw the Vikings coming!" I also can't wait for my Shakespeare class which is tomorrow, because what I've seen of him he is the quintessential Shakespeare teacher - British, tall, thin, mumbly. I can't wait. Someone said he's a somebody as far as studying Shakespeare goes. I think he's written some important paper(s) or something I heard. Tomorrow I also have British Women Novelists (I have to finish reading 'A Room of One's Own' by tomorrow... however the combination of jet lag and Virginia Wolfe keeps ending up in me falling asleep... so we'll see how that goes.) On Thursday we have our first theatre class and that evening we're going to see Marguerite at the Royal Haymarket Theatre.

That reminds me, last night Kalen and I bought tickets to see A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Globe Theatre. We're going to be standlings and I can't wait! Apparently you really can throw things if it's bad.

Finally today I had my last interview after the history class. It's a political consultant company (as far as I can tell - no one can explain it especially clear) so it wasn't at the top of my list as it was competing with the other two possibilities I had at an interior design company and a marketing firm. However, after he explained what I would be doing, I think it would be my first choice. I'll write more about it if I get it for sure and if it's the internship I choose. It's a bit of a far walk from the tube station, but the scenery on this walk includes Big Ben and the gorgeous Parliament buildings so it's all worth it. ( There's also a CREPE STAND on the way! Bonjour! )

Also to clarify Tommy's comment on my first posting - cameras, it seems, do not adequately take pictures in London. It is indeed foggy and rainy, but not nearly as bad as it looks in these pictures. For some reason London fog doesn't photograph well and it looks 10 times drearier than it actually is.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am growing concerned about your use of words like "quintessential." Very la-de-da...oh look at me, I play the grand piano...(sorry, lapsed into a little Monty Python.) Sounds like you are having a blast! Love the blog. You and your crepes....

Jan Keith said...

and "It's a bit of a far walk" -"London is indeed foggy" :)
Love reading the blog!!!! Have a crepe for me!
Love you! Nanny

Jene said...

I love your blogs. Ignore your mother and aunt.