08 November 2008

Catch up

I've been slacking on the blog. I've been super busy! But now I'm going to make a list of all the things I haven't written about so maybe I'll remember to write about them.
  • bagels
  • the election :)
  • Lord Mayor Show
  • Borough market - and how this food market is so much better than Barcelona's.
  • How awesome London is.
Now I must sleep b/c my roommate and I went to a club last night called the Zoo Bar (aptly named) and then got up early to see the Lord Mayor Show and now I need a nap.
----
OK. let me quickly write about those things so I can write about Amsterdam! Bagels - one night me and my roommate convinced a couple of our friends to take a night bus (at least 40 minutes) to Brick Lane for a bagel. (the wonderful bagels with beef on them.) Totally worth it. This would have been better told and longer if I had written it earlier! Sorry!

The Election - Me and a friend went to an election party at a bar/concert venue. They played the BBC coverage of it on a big projector. Everyone counted down each time a new batch of states was about to be announced. It was very fun and exciting. Not a single McCain supporter in the whole place. (or even in this whole city!) People here will ask you straight out who you are going to vote for/ who you voted for. It's not like America where it's a big secret and no one asks anyone because they don't want to be rude. In class several professors have just assumed everyone voted Obama or asked the class as a whole who they supported. And the classes the day after the election, many people skipped and the teachers didn't even care and were like "well that's great they were celebrating Obama's win!" (we didn't even start getting coverage here until 9 or 10pm, after he won Ohio we got a bus home and weren't home until 4am or so). Also, that next week the teachers were all like "By the way... Congratulations" about the election. Must be awkward for the McCain supporters! haha. They would probably get sued or something if they were to do that in a school in America.

Lord Mayer Show - click here for the website. my history is lacking. Old parade (like 800 years old) celebrating the new Lord Mayor of London. Used to be a really powerful position but isn't so much anymore, I heard. It was fun but it was raining. Pictures below.














Borough Market - This market was sooo great! They gave samples at almost all of the stands, we ate so many samples it was almost enough to just go there and eat free samples for lunch. yummm. Borough Market is another reason why London is better than Barcelona - this market is less touristy (though I'm sure it's touristy still) and just better in general. bigger and prettier.




These guys were passing out free samples to everyone and yelling "rat poison! let me give you some rat poison!" Some people were afraid to try the samples I don't know why. We however were not afraid to take their samples and stood there like little birds.



4 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Sleep well. I should like to see a picture of you wearing a beefeater's hat.

Julie said...

I am concerned about what seems to be your growing obsession with bagels. Should I try to get a Bagel intervention organized for when you come back home?

Anonymous said...

I never knew you were so crazy about bagels. I knew you like bagels in melted cheese though. Maybe the bagels there are something special. I would ask you to bring some home to me, but they might be stale by the time I see you!

-Tommy

Julie said...

So what exactly was the "rat poison?" I can't tell in the picture. It reminds me of that time at the Ren Faire when that crazed man kept following me and throwing a poisonous fish at me. Do you remember that? And HE had a British accent too......

On another note, I like to make up definitions for the words that are used below for word verification. Like "gursta." unpleasant body odor; stench; foul smell. Her eyes watered when his gursta entered the room before he did.